Opera Modesto is proud to present the third year of our nationally unique Story Into Song Literacy Initiative featuring a bi-lingual double bill of one-act operas based on two famous novels – Rudolfo Anaya’s Bless Me Ultima and Miguel Cervantes’ Don Quixote de la Mancha.
Hector Armienta is self-described as a Mexican-American composer and the full-length version of his opera, BLESS ME ULTIMA was premiered in 2018 by Opera Southwest in New Mexico, the most successful opera in the history of the company! Opera Modesto has commissioned a one-act chamber opera adaptation of the opera from Maestro Armienta, which will have its absolute premiere in these performances.
Spain’s Mauricio Sotelo is one of Europe’s the most successful composers with major opera premieres across the continent. DULCINEA was commissioned by Madrid’s Teatro Real and Barcelona’s Liceu and premiered in 2005. Opera Modesto’s production will mark its US Premiere. Sotelo created the opera in collaboration with the Cervantes Institute in Madrid.
BLESS ME ULTIMA will be performed in Spanglish, DULCINEA in Spanish.
- McJefferson Agloro
- Merrissa Brambila
- Haimish Chandra
- Rosa Moreno
- Maura Ortega
- Stephanie Ortiz
- Daniel Rios
- Christopher Rodriguez
- Carlos Saatman
- Maria Bellamy
- Laycey Elliston
- Kaitlyn King
- Izabella Duran Soriano
- Daniel Helfgot: Stage Director for BLESS ME, ULTIMA
- Annalisa Winberg: Stage Director for DULCINEA
- Ryan Murray: Conductor
- Liisa Davila: Assistant Conductor / Chorus Director
- Yi-Hsuan Ma: Scenic Designer
- Dustin Venicombe: Lighting Designer
- Laura Loya: Costumer
- Christina Canela: Assistant Costumer
- Vance Whitaker: Makeup Master
- Jordan Williams: Rehearsal Pianist
- Chris Colbourn: Stage Manager
- Chelsea Damante: Props Master
- Lars Meridian: Supertitles Operator